The castle of Igoumenitsa is situated on the forested hill that overlooks the modern city. It was built on the site of an ancient fortress, probably from the late-Roman period, which is in places visible in the lower parts of the southern side of the walls.
The fortification walls have undergone numerous repairs in different chronological periods. In their present form they are built with rubble masonry and lime mortar as binding material and are reinforced on all sides with rectangular towers that communicate with the interior of the castle through arched portals. The northeastern side was enclosed within a partition wall and functioned as an inner citadel. The main gate of the castle was probably on the eastern side, protected by two rectangular towers.
The castle is connected with the history of Igoumenitsa from the 15th century onwards, when the settlement served as a trading station and one of the outposts of Venice in western Greece until its final conquest by the Ottomans in 1540. In 1685 the now Turkish fortress of Igoumenitsa was blown up by the Venetian fleet under the command of Admiral Morosini, and a century later was partially restored after its seizure by Ali Pasha of Ioannina.